34 of the 56 signers were born in the colony (eventually state) they would later represent in the Continental Congress.
8 signers were born outside of the American Colonies.
- Button Gwinnett (GA, born in England)
- Francis Lewis (NY, born in Wales)
- Robert Morris (PA, born in England)
- James Smith (PA, born in Northern Ireland)
- George Taylor (PA, born in Ireland)
- Matthew Thornton (NH, born in Ireland)
- James Wilson (PA, born in Scotland)
- John Witherspoon (NJ, born in Scotland)
14 signers were born in other colonies. The most notable is Benjamin Franklin, born in Boston but more known for his connection to Philadelphia.
- Josiah Bartlett (NH, born in MA)
- William Floyd (NJ, born in NY)
- Benjamin Franklin (PA, born in MA)
- Lyman Hall (GA, born in CT)
- Joseph Hewes (NC, born in NJ)
- William Hooper (NC, born in MA)
- Francis Hopkinson (NJ, born in PA)
- Thomas McKean (DE, born in PA)
- John Penn (NC, born in VA)
- George Read (DE, born in MD)
- George Ross (PA, born in DE)
- Roger Sherman (CT, born in MA)
- George Walton (GA, born in VA)
- William Whipple (NH, born in MA [now ME])
Interestingly, none of Georgia's signers were actually born in Georgia, and none of North Carolina's signers were actually born in North Carolina.